Monday, July 30, 2012

Malawi

In case you have ever wondered if a life following God would be boring, take it from be, it's everything but boring. Rather, it's a wonderful, exciting adventure!!!

I am still in Thailand.  I came here 4 weeks ago with a Tattered Tiaras leadership team and remained here after the team left to stay with my husband  who is completing an internship with long term Bangkok missionary, Peter DeWit. It has been an incredible month learning God's heart for Bangkok,  doing life in community with their church NewSong, Teaching English at a local School, and following Peter and his wife, Pat, as they serve selflessly in their local community. I could go on forever about the lessons we have learned, and maybe one day i will, but right now i want to talk to you about the next adventure God has for me. 

In only two weeks i am scheduled to leave Toronto, ON, to make my way to Malawi, Africa. Tattered Tiaras will be taking another team of girls, this time ranging from 13-22  in age, to the Village of Hope. The Village of Hope is an orphanage for at risk children and is located in 5 countries throughout Africa, including Malawi. The VOH works to "bring lasting hope to children at risk so they can embrace adulthood as independent and contributing members of society"(VOH webpage). The VOH in Malawi provides proper nutrition, education, healthcare and shelter to over 70 children who would otherwise have little to no future.

We will be working with missionaries Connie and Dave Buzikievich who are the National Directors of the Village of Hope. The focus of the trip will working in the city of Lilongwe and surrounding villages with children and mothers. Malawi will give the team members an opportunity to see a part of the world they may have never had the opportunity to see.  However, this trip will not be sightseeing. We want the girls on the team to understand that each one of them, youngest to oldest, has the potential to make an difference in their own world, and the world around them. We want them to learn that it doesn't take much to change the life of one person, not only in a foreign country, but in their own as well. The girls will teach children’s programs, play with children and assist families with daily activities.  I will be the assistant leader on the team along side the founder and director of Tattered Tiaras, Kim Moran. I will be "in training" during this trip as I anticipate leading other teams (possibly by myself) in the following years.  (Learn more about Tattered Tiaras!)

Matt and I firmly believe that this is the next step in God's plan for my life and are so excited to see what he has in store. I am still quite short in funding for this trip however and my non-refundable plane ticket has already been purchased. :) I strongly believe that God does not call us to something that He will not make the provisions for, and I also know that He uses other people to provide. However He chooses to provide this money, I just ask that you would be open to hearing from Him if you are to support me in this. If you would like to donate, you will find a secure PayPal donation button just up a little bit and to your right where you can use any method of payment. Please be assured that 100% of all donations go directly into the Malawi fund. It is no small amount that we are believing in God for, but I know that nothing is too great for my God. 

If you are unable to support me financially, I equally need people praying for myself and the team that we would have safe travels, for health, good and effective teamwork, courage and boldness and of course, finances. 



If you would like to stay updated while I am in Malawi, please continue to check the Tattered Tiaras Blog for daily updates from the team.

If you have just stumbled across our blog for the first time, please join our e-mail list (to the right) to ensure you don't miss an update!  More reflections from Thailand coming soon! 

VOH Malawi

No comments:

Post a Comment