Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Anticipation

Hi everyone!
Matt writing here, first blog of the marriage! So excited that we have a way of updating our friends and family who we can't be close to! It's never easy being away from family, especially at a time like this. But we are overly blessed in what we have been given, and we strive to see those blessings every day.
Last night I went to the first chapel practice of the year. at the very beginning of the summer, me and Nik both felt that this was going to be a season of God equipping me in the ministry that he has placed me in. no more renting equipment. no more frustration with different gear every week. And so, I now find myself blessed with a brand spanking new gretsch tennessee rose and vox ac15.


Life couldn't be better.


or so i thought.


Last night, as i said, we had first chapel practice. God showed up in such a real way, such a tangible way. i can honestly tell you that I don't get nervous for practices anymore. But last night was different. in the hours leading up to practice, i began to sweat and just felt the nerves creeping up on me. I started wondering what was going on. "haven't I gotten past this? I have been playing long enough now, surely, that i don't need to be nervous about practice?"
My good friend Clark Moran helped me put it all into perspective. I wasn't nervous about playing. I was nervous about stepping into God's presence. Exodus 20:18-19 says "When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance and said to Moses, 'Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.'" (NIV)The Israelites had such a reverence for God that they knew that if they heard his voice they would die! Yet we come to chapels and just expect God to show up, touch us, and then leave as if nothing ever happened.


I want more than that!


And so with this new perspective, this new understanding of the nerves i was feeling, we had practice. i began to pray that the nerves would never leave. I hope i never lose the reverence of God's presence, that I treat it like another show. this is God we are talking about! The God that created the heavens and the earth! The God that created you and me! This is huge!
So we would just ask that you keep this Wednesday night in prayer. this school is truly steeped in anticipation for what God will do. You must understand that this is not normal. For the past two years that I have been here, this sense of excitement hasn't really been present. We truly believe that God is up to something.


We believe that God has moved his pieces.


Now its our turn.


Let's move.




Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment